The 6th Beijing International Ballet Competition for Dance Schools 2018 is an international dance competition hosted by Beijing Dance Academy (BDA), with the joint support of Ministry of Culture of the People’s Republic of China and the Beijing Municipal Commission of Education. The purpose of this competition is to promote worldwide exchange and development of ballet education and training. All activities will be organized and supervised by the Organizing Committee of the Beijing International Ballet Competition for Dance Schools 2018. The Organizing Committee comprises several work panels and it will invite a number of international ballet experts to form the Jury to be in charge of the performance evaluation. The Jury’s decisions will be authoritative and final.
Venue: Beijing, China
Date: Oct. 19 (Fri) – Oct. 28 (Sun), 2018
The members of the Jury for the competition and the members of the Jury for the video preliminary are all international recognized ballet experts. The Organizing Committee will announce the list of the Jury members and detailed rules for performance assessment on the website of the competition( www.bdaballet.com)in June 2018.
This competition is open to all ballet students, or young professional ballet dancers, regardless of his/her nationality, around the world.
1. The contestants must meet the following qualifications:
2. The contestants are divided into 3 categories:
Note: Contestants can only choose to compete in one category, but may sign up for the closest category with the required age higher than his/her real age. Once the category is confirmed, the contestant shall not change his/her category.
Contestants in Category A and Category B may choose pas de deux or solo. Once confirmed, it shall not be changed. The pas de deux dancers shall perform one complete pas de deux (including variation and Coda) for each round of the competition. The solo dancers shall perform solo dance in each round. The male and female dancers in pas de deux will be scored separately. For pas de deux dancers, if one dancer fails, he/she shall still be obliged to accompany the other one to finish the dance.
*Each contestant shall choose solo or pas de deux from the classical ballet repertoire (listed in the appendix) provided by the Organizing Committee.
The contemporary repertoire is provided by the Organizing Committee. The candidates who have passed the video preliminary may download contemporary dance videos at www.bdaballet.com,3 minutes for solo dance and 5 minutes for pas de deux. The IPR of the contemporary dance choreography belongs to the Organizing Committee. Without prior written consent, nobody shall perform the dance in any other ballet contests or performance in any form.
Category A / B
Note: pas de deux shall include male/female variation and Coda
1、One “Prix de BDA”, equivalent to USD10,000.
3. The Jury has the right to grant or not to grant any prize, or make decision on prize sharing within winners in the same place.
4. The prizes are pre-tax amounts. The prize winners are obliged to pay Individual Income Tax pursuant to the Chinese law.
1、Application Date: December 1, 2017 to May 31, 2018. The deadline to submit applications online is May 31, 2018.
1)Online application: download and fill in the application form at www.bdaballet.com；
2)The required materials for application include:
a. Classical ballet video: which shall include 1 variation or 1 complete pas de deux (including variation and Coda);
Upload video: Click the Upload button, and then a window will pop up. Follow the prompt on the window to select the video in your computer and upload. (The size of video to be uploaded shall not exceed 300M and shall be in the common video format such as MP4, AVI, MOV and FLV.)
b. Fill out and sign the application form, and then upload the scanned copy.
c. Identity document:
d.Letter of Recommendation from the contestant’s instructor. (Dancers from ballet companies need to provide the photocopies of their diplomas.)
e. Health Certificate issued by school or hospital
f. Resume focusing on ballet education
g. 1 ID photo & 2 stage photos of the contestant, 1 ID photo of his/her instructor(shot in recent two years)
h. Each contestant needs to pay USD100 registration fee via the official website:www.bdaballet.com
3) Waiting for confirmation to complete the application. (The Organising Committee will notify you by e-mail or phone of the receipt of all the necessary materials.)
3. For the contestants who have passed the video preliminary, the Organising Committee will send the letter of confirmation by July 15, 2018. The candidates for Round 2 will receive the following financial assistance to cover his/her: international round-trip air tickets and accommodation expenses in Beijing during the Competition. (If the qualifications of 1-3 applicants from the same institution are confirmed, the Organising Committee will only cover the cost of 1 instructor, including his/her international round-trip air tickets and accommodation expenses in Beijing during the Competition. If the qualifications of 3 or more applicants from the same institution are confirmed, the Organising Committee will cover the cost of 2 instructors, including their international round-trip air tickets and accommodation expenses in Beijing during the Competition.)
1. The stage for the competition is a standard stage with ballet floor.
2.The contestants may use simple props , but dangerous materials such as liquids, flammables are strictly prohibited.
3. The contestants should prepare the music by yourself. The format can be CD, MD, or WAV/APE. The file submitted shall only contain 1 piece of music. The name of the file shall include the following information: the contestant’s name, nationality, name of dance & round. The file shall be submitted to the Organising Committee after the lottery to decide contestants’ order in the competition. Contestants must have a backup copy of the music in the required format and ensure that the music can be played successfully. Contestants must ensure that they have the right to use and broadcast the music without any IPR infringement or compromising anyone’s interests.
4. Contestants must prepare clothing for the competition or practice.
Note: Only the cameramen authorized by the Organising Committee are allowed to videotape the activities during the competition. Any other person shall not have the right to videotape or take photo of any activity in the competition area with his/her camera, video camera, cell phone and any other tool with camera functions.
All contestants and instructors shall purchase medical and casualty insurance during their stay in Beijing.
Note: The Organising Committee will not take any responsibility for candidates’ failure of showing up in the competition due to injury or disability, or any injury, illness or theft caused by or during the contest. All the contestants shall take proactive measures to avoid accidents, diseases and theft; otherwise they need to bear the consequences accordingly.
All the contestants are obliged to participate in the performance in the awards ceremony organized by the Organizing Committee, without any payment.
The Organizing Committee shall have the right to arrange activities, such as photographing, interview, video recording, broadcasting and audio recording, during the competition without any payment. The ownership of the audios and videos recorded during the competition belongs to the Organizing Committee. Other companies or individuals are not allowed to record. Contestants shall allow these audiovisuals to be used for promotional purposes. The Organizing Committee will provide Chinese and English language services.
For any violation of rules during the competition, only the Jury of the 6th Beijing International Ballet Competition for Dance Schools 2018 has the arbitration power.
The shortlist of videos selected by the Jury in the preliminary is final and cannot be changed or recalled.
Only the Rules and Regulations in Chinese and English are applicable.
Address: International Office,
Beijing Dance Academy
1st Wanshousi Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Tel: +86 1068937373
Contact: Lin Lin
The 6th Beijing International Ballet Competition for Dance Schools 2018
Secretariat of Organizing Committee